August 16, 2012

Current Look: This Little Piggy Stayed Home

Before I provide the promised explanation for my blogging withdrawal, let me give you the story behind this vest. Most of you dear readers know I was raised on a pig farm here in Texas. I also showed pigs through 4H (sort of like dog shows, if you've seen those on TV). In 1997, I won Grand Champion at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo with my pig Astro. That's the equivalent of winning the Superbowl. I wore this vest when I auctioned my pig for $85,000. Yes, you read that right. No, I didn't get to keep it all. Most went into a scholarship fund for college kids around the state. Anyway, now that denim vests are in style currently, I figured I may as well rock my piggy vest. I smile every time I wear it. Such happy memories!

Now for my explanation. First, my style is significantly evolving, becoming more European and more streamlined. As a stylist, I can style any style, but personally I hadn't yet defined my own. I was still emulating others. This summer I've done a major overhaul of my closet, ridding it of things that aren't truly "me." It's a process, and I'm certainly not done, but I do think you'll notice the change.

In addition, and more importantly, I am losing one of the most significant people in my life to a progressively degenerative disease. Things have been bad for about 2 years but have become severe within the last 6-8 months. I have been spending much of my free time (ie blogging time) caring for her. Basically, this little piggy has been staying home. There's this idea in our culture of the "tortured artist," someone who can channel  emotional pain into creativity. Not me. I create from joy and to me, fashion is joy. When it comes to looks and blogging, the honest truth is that I just haven't felt like it. I never stopped following your lovely blogs or the current trends. I could never stay away from style.

Skirt: $5, forever21
Tank: old, random brand from Marshall's
Vest: old
Necklace: DIY
Ring: gifted
Clutch: old, Express
Shoes: $50, Zara (last season)

Apparel total: $5
Accessories total: $50
Grand total: $55

Photos by Jared J Davis copyright 2012

7 comments:

  1. Love the vest! Praying for you and your love. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, funny "old vest":) and simply gorgeous DIY necklace! I want the same:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you. Didn't really grow up in a farm. But my grandma raised pigs and sold them. I love this entry. Love it. So much. I'm sending love and a warm hug all the way from Cebu. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have watched pig show on river cottage (a food show), it's not as easy as it may sound. u are so generous & kind to donate most of your winnings. and most of all, i feel really sorry that u are losing someone close. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the update :) I'm glad your back, but I totally understand how, in life, there are somethings that are just more important sometimes. I wish you and the woman you're caring for, peace and happiness in the coming months. It seems like the most important thing I could wish for someone in a time like this.

    The vest is so cute. I love the piggies on the back; too fun. Glad you're spending some time finding yourself in your closet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Love your vest, it's perfect.

    You have an awesome blog and style. What do you think if we follow each other? I'd love it and look forward to your answer. Kisses
    Paint me in the landscape

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading this post practically brought tears to my eyes. I knew you were reading and commenting on my blog, but I hadn't seen too much on yours and thanks being open. There are things so much more important than blogging, like family and friends and pets even... but you are awesome and your blog didn't go anywhere without you. Let your passion for fashion be your fun escape and I cannot wait to see your new styled outfits!

    ReplyDelete