July 10, 2012

Current DIY: Sparkly Cap Toe Pumps

We've all seen the delicious shoe selections of late featuring a contrast cap toe. From Stuart Weitzmen to Zara, the toe is definitely in the spotlight, so you know I had to have a pair in stylecurrent royal blue.


So with some inspiration from my friend Sally and loads of helpful tips from my BFF Bonnie (aka The Queen of Bling), I got to work!
Here's what you'll need:
1. Pointy toe shoes
    I chose fabric ones so that the paint would adhere better.
2. Packing tape
3. Silver and white acrylic paint
4. Paint supplies
5. Rhinestones
    I went with the higher quality kind, so that they'd really sparkle. I used size 20ss flat back stones.
6. E-6000 glue

Steps:
1. Tape off your cap toe.
Tip: Be sure the tape is secure. I didn't, and my paint bled a bit. I had to go over the messy edges with a blue    Sharpie. Hopefully this won't be too visible when on.

3. Paint the toes white first to prime them; allow to dry, then paint toes silver until opaque.
I didn't prime mine first and after 3 coats of silver it still wasn't opaque. After priming, it took only 2 coats of silver to get the desired effect.

4. Starting with the edges, glue rhinestones onto paint. Work inward until the whole toe is covered in bling.
Tip: Squeeze a small amount of E-6000 onto a scrap piece of paper, then use a toothpick to put a tiny amount of glue on each rhinestone. They less glue than you might think. You'll have to repeat squeezing the glue onto the paper often, as the glue dries after a few minutes.
Tip: E-6000 stays pliable for a bit, so the rhinestones can be repositioned before firmly set.
5. Let them dry for 12-24 hours, then enjoy!

Cost of supplies
Shoes: $16, on clearance at JC Penney
Tape, paint and paint supplies: already had
Rhinestones: $4.50 for 2 packages at Hobby Lobby (used a coupon for one)
Glue: $2 at Hobby Lobby

Grand total: $22.50 

12 comments:

  1. This looks AMAZE!! I will most def be trying this over the weekend! Thanks for sharing! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted to do this forever to my nude pair of heels, but was not sure. Yours turned out amazing!!!
    Thanks for the inspiration, dear1 You're the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, super cool DIY. I have to do it! xx:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had seen the white LV ones with the silver toe tap in the store... only cost $1000!! I really want to do a pair like this! yours did turn out really great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great DIY! I've been wanting to paint some shoes this summer, haha. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice!



    p.s. I'm having a giveaway if you'd like to check it out!
    devorelebeaumonstre.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea and definitely love your's! The result is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a shopping/style question and I don't know if I should direct it here, or via email... it's about finding a non-platform perfect pointy pump... do you recommend any? and what heel height is low enough to be comfortable, but high enough to be sexy/stylish without looking office-ready? does that make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello darling, long time no see ;)

    You look as stylish as ever. Love the DIY idea - much cheaper than buying new :) Will you believe if I tell I blogged last week about bejewelled shoes.

    Have a lovely day!
    Maria
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. gotta show my daughter this....awesome!

    ReplyDelete